Data management is about rules and procedures for managing data.
This is necessary to ensure a high quality of research data to avoid cheating or plagiarism and at the same time to ensure the possibility of re-using research so that new knowledge can build on existing knowledge. In the longer term, the intention is that data can be shared seamlessly across borders and disciplines in order to utilize known data for new research. The purpose of good data management is thus to ensure that data is managed sufficiently well in the present and is prepared for long-term preservation and use.
To reach this vision, the starting point is FAIR data, where data fulfills the principles of findability, accessibility, interoperability, reusability.
DeiC functions as the advisory and coordinating body in the data management work, which is based on a strategy for national cooperation on digital research infrastructure, drawn up by the Danish universities and the Ministry of Education and Research (UFM). All eight universities are involved in the work to implement the strategy's goals.
DeiCs work includes pilot and professional projects as well as information, advice and communication about data management, for example:
- The Danish GO FAIR office, which will expose and further develop methods and tools that help researchers structure their metadata so that computers can automatically find relevant research data
- Strengthening the collaboration with the Coordinating Body for Register Research (KOR), Knowledge Exchange (KE) and DataCite.
- Establishment of a data stewardship competence centre
- Coordinating the DM Advisory Forum, which is an advisory body in DeiC that must increase dialogue and user involvement in the development of digital infrastructure
- Guidelines, inspiration and help for researchers in connection with the preparation of data management plans
- Contribution to EOSC (European Open Science Cloud) with participation in various EOSC projects
- Development and maintenance of FAIR e-learning modules
If you need further information about data management, you can contact the following contacts:
- Hannah Mihai, data management in general
- René Belsø, Metadata 4 Machines
- Anna Mette Morthorst, Knowledge Exchange
- Sandra Boerman, FAIR strategy and the GO FAIR office
- Anne Sofie Fink Kjeldgaard, head of data management in DeiC
- Nicolaj Pedersen Tanderup, DeiC Dataverse, DeiC Storage og DeiC Sensitive Storage